Culture in Roses

The Citadel

A walk around the Citadel is essential for anyone visiting Roses. Declared a historical-artistic complex in 1961, the Citadel contains vestiges of various periods and occupations. The military fortification, with its monumental Sea Gate, is a Renaissance-style enclosure of 131.480 m2 built in 1543. Its interior constitutes an important archaeological site, containing the remains of the Greek town of Rhode, founded in 776 BC by traders from the island of Rhodes; the Hellenistic district, which enjoyed its period of greatest prosperity in the 4th and 3rd C. BC; the Roman villa, dated between the 2nd C. BC and 6th C. AD; the Lombard Romanesque monastery of Santa Maria, from the 11th C.; and discoveries from the 19th C. [ More information ]

The Trinity Castle

The Castell de la Trinitat crowns the Poncella point above the lighthouse of Roses. This military construction, which dates from 1544, was erected under the reign of Emperor Charles V. It has the shape of a five-pointed star, with pronounced angular corners for defence against enemy projectiles. It is built on a very grand scale, with walls two metres thick. It had three terraces for batteries of cannons, howitzers and mortars, set at different heights, to defend the port and the coast. It had a garrison of up to two hundred men. Though now in a very ruined state, the whole remains as an extraordinary example of a coastal artillery fortress. [ More information ]

 

The Megalithic Complex

Inhabited since remote times, Roses possesses one of the most complete and impressive megalithic itineraries of the Costa Brava. Three large dolmens conserve the memory of the area's first settlers: the Creu d'en Cobertella (3000-2700 BC), the Llit de la Generala (3200 BC) and the Cap de l'Home. The Creu d'en Cobertella, the largest dolmen in Catalonia, dates from the Neolithic and was declared a historic-artistic monument in 1964. It has a large gallery covered by a four-ton slab which measures 5.20 m long, 2.45 m wide and 2.14 high. The tour around the origins of the town also reveals the funeral chamber of the Casa Cremada and its two menhirs (4th-3rd millennia BC), and the cave-dolmen of the Rec de la Cuana, from 2500 BC. [ More information ]

 

 

The Castle of Bufalaranya

This castle stands on a hill close to the road from Roses to Cadaqués. Built in the 10th C., the Castle of Bufalaranya has the singular characteristic of the opus spicatum design formed by its stone slabs, arranged in the shape of an ear of corn. [ More information ]